Gaming Movies, Streaming Content And TV Shows You Don’t Want To Miss

Gaming Movies, Streaming Content And TV Shows You Don’t Want To Miss

The gaming industry raked in $135 billion in 2018. With interest and revenue spiking as each year passes, there is no doubt the gaming industry will continue to rise.

Today, eSports venues are springing up worldwide, colleges are offering gaming degrees and high schools are incorporating eSports curriculum. Additionally, donors are investing private money to support eSports education.

Today, games serve as a source of screen-worthy inspiration to producers. In fact, gaming has found a place in fiction and non-fiction genres. With gaming trends continually moving upward, TV networks and video platforms are following the money.

Are you wondering what to watch next? Here are a few gaming-related titles that are worth the watch.

Pixel Poetry

Pixel Poetry, a documentary that is available on Amazon Prime, was released in 2014 by Gamestar Arts and Devolver Digital Films. It is a flick any gamer should see as it portrays the evolution of video games up until the 21st century. It also forecasts video games becoming a leading cultural influence — a prediction that is coming truer every day.

The film tells the story of interactive experiences that are 75% created. The remaining 25% rest in the hands of players and those choices are part of what makes video games so appealing to gamers. The filmmakers’ overarching message is that video games are more than just a hobby. They represent art, expression, entertainment, community and education.

Girl Gamers Now Is Our Time (Level 1 & Level 2)

Girl Gamers Now Is Our Time Level 1 was shot in Macau, China during the first GIRLGAMER eSports festival in September 2017. The documentary follows the two-day festival, as American and European teams face off against their Asian counterparts. Adding an extra layer of excitement, the festival takes place the week after a level-10 typhoon hit the region. Participants must keep their heads in the game despite the background noise of the natural disaster.

The following year, Girl Gamers Now Is Our Time Level 2 was shot during the GIRLGAMER festival in Portugal’s Casino Estoril. As girls become a more regular part of the industry, the films break gender barriers in a once male-dominated gaming world.

Twitch.tv

In the modern-day, many people opt for intellectually stimulating digital content over a Netflix series. Gaming content has become a popular craze in recent years, with platforms like Twitch blowing up, offering exclusive content related to different tournaments where the user can join the community by asking questions or chatting to other viewers.

Twitch is a video live streaming service that came to fruition in 2011. While it began as a platform surrounding a variety of topics, gaming quickly took off. Today, Twitch is owned by a subsidiary of Amazon and its primary focus is video game content – including eSports competitions.

People turn to Twitch to watch real-time gaming broadcasts. The popularity of this type of content shines a light on the fact that people do not just enjoy playing games — they enjoy watching others play them, too.

Castlevania

This animated fictional television series is based on the Castlevania video game series. It is available on Netflix, which describes the plot as “a vampire hunter who fights to save a besieged city from an army of otherworldly beasts controlled by Dracula himself.”

The first two seasons aired in 2017 and 2018, and a 10-episode third season is in the works. While a release date has not been set in stone, 2020 looks promising. That means now is a good time to get caught up on the first two seasons.

More On The Way

Video game-based series and movies are gaining in popularity, with several more expected for release in 2020. Halo, based on the video game of the same name, will premiere on Showtime. An exact date has not yet been released.

Old-school gamers will enjoy a blast from the past with the release of the Sonic the Hedgehog movie on Feb. 14, 2020. The movie stars Jim Carey and came to fruition as the result of a partnership between Paramount Pictures and Sega.

See more upcoming releases related to videogames, and add them to your watch list.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>