All the way back four years ago, we were so excited that we finally got a female time traveller! Jodie Whittaker took on the role of Doctor Who after Peter Capaldi in one of BBC's most well-nourished shows.
Ncuti Gatwa (Sex Education) had previously been announced as the successor to Jodie Whittaker for the lead role in the show.
Numerous reports indicated that Gatwa would portray the Fourteenth Doctor and that Whittaker's Thirteenth Doctor would regenerate into Gatwa's incarnation.
However, in Whittaker's final appearance as the character, she regenerated into a form resembling David Tennant, the Tenth Doctor instead.
This new character has been confirmed as the Fourteenth Doctor, and it has been clarified that Gatwa will actually portray the Fifteenth Doctor after the 60th anniversary specials in November 2023.
So now that we know David Tennant is back, the big question is when will we see him as Doctor Who??
Doctor Who Release Date
Last seen in the role in 2013, we know that Tennant is set to appear in special episodes in 2023. He will be joined by Catherine Tate and will appear as the Fourteenth Doctor and Donna Noble.
Their character stories will play out over three special episodes to commemorate the programme's 60th anniversary.
The episodes are titled: The Star Beast, Wild Blue Yonder and The Giggle and will air in November 2023.
However, the 14th season will have eight episodes. So after Tennant departs, Nguti Gatwa will take over as lead for the remainder of the season as the Fifteenth Doctor.
His first episode as lead actor is set to air in December 2023 with fourteenth series continuing into 2024.
Who Created Doctor Who?
Doctor Who was created by Sydney Newman, C. E. Webber, and Donald Wilson. The long-running British science fiction series first premiered on November 23, 1963. It has since become a cultural phenomenon with a dedicated fan base worldwide.
The original run of Doctor Who, known as the Classic Era, spanned from 1963 to 1989. The show initially focused on the adventures of the mysterious time-traveling alien known as the Doctor, portrayed by William Hartnell.
Over the years, the Doctor, a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, would change his appearance and personality through a process called regeneration.
This allowed the show to continue with different actors taking on the role, including Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy.
After its original run, Doctor Who went on an extended hiatus from 1990 to 2004. In 2005, it made a triumphant return to television with a modern revival.
Modern Day Revival
In 2005, it made a triumphant return to television with a modern twist. Russell T. Davies spearheaded the revival as the show's executive producer and head writer.
Christopher Eccleston became the Ninth Doctor, followed by David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor and Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor.
In 2010, Steven Moffat took over as the showrunner and head writer, bringing his own creative vision to Doctor Who. Peter Capaldi portrayed the Twelfth Doctor, followed by Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor, making history as the first woman to play the role.
In 2023 David Tennant returned as the Fourteenth Doctor with Nguti Gatwa taking up the mantle in the 14th season as the Fifteenth Doctor.
Throughout its history, Doctor Who has featured a variety of companions, time-traveling adventures, and encounters with iconic adversaries such as the Daleks and the Cybermen.
Doctor Who continues to captivate audiences, and its enduring popularity has led to spin-offs, merchandise, books, audio dramas, and a dedicated fan community.
The show celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2023 and continues to evolve, delighting fans with new episodes, seasons, and specials.
Every Doctor Who Doctor
- First Doctor: William Hartnell (1963-1966)
- Second Doctor: Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)
- Third Doctor: Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
- Fourth Doctor: Tom Baker (1974-1981)
- Fifth Doctor: Peter Davison (1982-1984)
- Sixth Doctor: Colin Baker (1984-1986)
- Seventh Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (1987-1989, 1996)
- Eighth Doctor: Paul McGann (1996)
- Ninth Doctor: Christopher Eccleston (2005)
- Tenth Doctor: David Tennant (2005-2010)
- Eleventh Doctor: Matt Smith (2010-2013)
- Twelfth Doctor: Peter Capaldi (2013-2017)
- Thirteenth Doctor: Jodie Whittaker (2017-2022)
- Fourteenth Doctor: David Tennant (2023)
- Fifteenth Doctor: Ncuti Gatwa (2023 -)
Doctor Who Tardis
The Doctor Who TARDIS, which stands for Time and Relative Dimension in Space, is a fictional time machine. It is a spacecraft that serves as the primary mode of transportation for the Doctor.
The TARDIS has the outward appearance of a 1960s British police box, which was a common sight in the United Kingdom during the show's inception. It is blue in color and features a prominent, recognisable design with a police telephone sign on the top and various other details.
The most iconic feature of the TARDIS is its ability to be “bigger on the inside.” It is essentially an extradimensional space that defies the laws of physics, allowing for an interior that is much larger than its exterior dimensions suggest.
Capable of travelling through time, the TARDIS allows the Doctor and their companions to visit different historical periods, alien planets, and future civilisations.
It can travel to any point in the universe and throughout different time periods, making it an incredibly versatile vehicle for exploration.
However, the TARDIS is not just a machine but is also depicted as having a level of sentience or consciousness. Often portrayed as having a deep connection with the Doctor, it sometimes exhibits a will of its own.
The interior of the TARDIS houses the control room, where the Doctor pilots the ship. Over the course of the series, the design of the control room has changed multiple times, showcasing various styles and configurations.
The Doctor's TARDIS is a beloved and integral part of the Doctor Who series. It represents adventure, discovery, and the boundless possibilities of time and space.
It has become an iconic symbol of the show, capturing the imagination of fans for decades.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.