Sex/Life is a steamy drama series created by Stacy Rukeyser for Netflix. Starring Sarah Shahi and Adam Demos, the show is inspired by the novel 44 Chapters About 4 Men by BB Easton.
It premiered in June 2021 and was quickly renewed for a second season, which, to be fair, took a long time coming, not airing until March 2nd 2023.
However, all that expectation of another instalment of the Billie and Brad show never really materialised. With only six episodes, the two barely had any scenes together and the crux of what held the first season together just wasn't there.
So will we get Sex/Life season 3 to make up for it? Sadly, the news is not great, and fans of the show are going to be disappointed.
SEX/LIFE SEASON 3 RELEASE DATE
We all know that Netflix adheres to an algorithm when it comes to determining whether or not they should renew a show. Sentiment doesn't really factor into it.
It's all about the numbers, and Sex/Life just didn't produce them for season 2. Where season one racked up 67 million households of viewership (enough to renew), season 2 didn't even get to 44 million hours! Essentially, at least a third of the audience gave it a miss.
Even Sarah Shahi (Billie) panned the second season when speaking to the podcast Not Skinny But Not Fat recently.
She said some of the season 2 storylines were “gimmicky” and that she struggled with the material.
Citing little support from the people involved in the show, she said making season two was “definitely a challenge”.
So with the lead actress clearly at a loss, and the fact that Adam Demos was hardly in the show and you have to wonder what was the point in making it all!
And that brings us nicely to the fact that all of that adds up to the show being cancelled by Netflix. So will we get Sex/Life season 3? The answer is a firm NO.
According to Netflix, the second season delivered a happy ending for the key characters, allowing the show to conclude in a satisfying way for viewers.
Sex/Life Season 1 Recap
Billie Connelly is a married woman with kids who lives the suburban dream. Her husband Cooper is, by her own admission, the perfect man.
And yet Billie is bored. So to fill her time, she obsesses over her bad boy ex from eight years earlier.
The ex is Brad Simon, a record producer who apparently was so amazing in bed that Billie can't stop herself from constantly fantasising about him.
And then he comes back into her life, so to get the whole thing out of her system, Billie starts journaling her memories. Every single solitary minute of steamy sex she's ever had is played out in flashbacks.
But then Cooper, completely unaware of his wife's wild side, finds the online journal and their whole relationship is thrown into chaos.
We left Billie and Cooper at a make-or-break moment in their marriage.
Sex/Life Season 2 What Happens?
No surprise that Billie cannot stay away from Brad, putting her marriage in further jeopardy. BUT Cooper doesn't stay so squeaky clean with a co-worker giving him an opportunity to cheat…
Plus Brad is not a one-woman man so will he play around on Billie again? Of course, he will!
Sasha, Billie's best friend finds herself living on the edge with her new lover and we get a few new cast members to spice everything up.
So who will Billie choose – Brad or Cooper? Watch season 2 to find out.
Is Sex/LifeAny Good?
Well, this is a debatable topic. Some people love it and couldn't wait for the second season. Others think it is absolute rubbish.
It has an IMDB rating of just 5.5 and when I reviewed it, I gave it 3.1 because I just couldn't wait for it to be over it was sooooo awful.
However, Nextflicks.tv readers are kinder than me and gave it an average of 4.1. Still not great.
But here we are with Sex/Life season 2 done and dusted and despite the fall off in audience viewing figures, the show still put up a strong following. Just enough to get renewed.
Season 1 Episode Titles
There are 8 episodes in Season 1 of this steamy drama. Each has been given a song name as a title…
- 1. The Wives Are in Connecticut – Carly Simon
- 2. Down in the Tube Station at Midnight – The Jam
- 3. Empire State of Mind – Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys
- 4. New New York – The Cranberries
- 5. The Sound of the Suburbs – The Members
- 6. Somewhere Only We Know – Keane
- 7. Small Town Saturday Night – Hal Ketchum
- 8. This Must Be the Place – Talking Heads
Season 2 Episode Titles
- 9. Welcome to New York – Taylor Swift
- 10. Georgia On My Mind – Ray Charles
- 11. Seasons of Love – Rent Musical
- 12. The Weakness in Me – Joan Armatrading
- 13. Future Starts Today – Kim Petras
- 14. Heavenly Day – Patty Griffin
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.