If you're looking for where to watch The Outsiders movie, there are a few options. But before we dive into that, let's take a look at what this classic movie is all about.
The Outsiders is a 1983 coming-of-age drama film directed by Francis Ford Coppola and based on the novel of the same name by S.E. Hinton.
The story is set in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in the 1960s and revolves around a group of teenagers known as the Greasers. The gang comes from the wrong side of the tracks and is constantly at odds with the upper-class Socs.
The film follows Ponyboy Curtis (played by C. Thomas Howell), a young Greaser who is trying to find his place in the world while navigating the complexities of his rough neighborhood.
Along with his friends, including Johnny Cade (Ralph Macchio) and Dallas Winston (Matt Dillon), Ponyboy finds himself involved in a violent confrontation with the Socs that leads to tragic consequences.
The Outsiders is a powerful and emotional film that explores themes of friendship, loyalty, and the struggle to find identity and meaning in a harsh and unforgiving world.
The movie features a talented cast of young actors, including many who would go on to become major stars in Hollywood, including Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, and Emilio Estevez, to name a few.
This classic film offers something for every movie fan. So grab some popcorn and sit back—and let us tell you where to watch The Outsiders.
Where to Stream The Outsiders?
UNITED STATES: If you're in the U.S., you can stream The Outsiders on HBO Max and DIRECTV. Both services offer the film free for subscribers. Those who don't have a subscription to either service can also rent or purchase the movie on Amazon Prime Video, Google Play, and more.
CANADA: Canadian viewers can stream The Outsiders on Crave. They also have the option to rent the movie on AppleTV for a modest fee.
UNITED KINGDOM: For British viewers, the only streaming service offering this movie is STUDIO CANAL PLUS. Of course, you can also purchase the movie on Amazon UK or iTunes.
AUSTRALIA: Foxtel & Binge Australia is currently streaming The Outsiders. They also have a rental option available on AppleTV and Google Play Movies.
FRANCE: The Outsiders can be streamed on Canal+. Rental options include Orange, Bbox, and Microsoft Store.
GERMANY: German viewers can watch The Outsiders on the ARTHAUS+ platform. You can download the app on Amazon Firestick.
POLAND: The Outsiders is available to stream on Amazon Prime Video in Poland.
No matter where you are, the chances are that you can find a place to watch this timeless classic.
The Outsiders Cast
One of the most interesting things about the movie's cast was that it included many young actors who would go on to become major stars in their own right. Some of these actors included:
- C. Thomas Howell as Ponyboy Curtis
- Matt Dillon as Dallas Winston
- Ralph Macchio as Johnny Cade
- Patrick Swayze as Darrel Curtis
- Rob Lowe as Sodapop Curtis
- Emilio Estevez as Two-Bit Matthews
- Tom Cruise as Steve Randle
- Diane Lane as Cherry Valance
At the time of the film's release, most of these actors were relatively unknown, and The Outsiders helped launch their careers.
Today, many of them are still active and are considered the most successful actors of their generation.
The movie's cast also helped to create a sense of authenticity in the film, as the young actors were able to bring a raw, emotional energy to their performances that resonated with audiences.
When was The Outsiders Book Published
The Outsiders is a novel written by S.E. Hinton, which was first published in 1967. Hinton began writing the novel when she was just 15 years old, and it was published when she was 18.
The book was groundbreaking, as it portrayed the lives of working-class teenagers in a realistic and relatable way. It also dealt with themes such as violence, gang culture, and social class, which were not often addressed in literature aimed at young adults at the time.
Widely praised for its powerful storytelling and its ability to resonate with readers of all ages. The success of the novel led to the creation of the 1983 movie adaptation, which has also become a beloved classic in its own right.
Where Is It Set?
The Outsiders is set in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in the 1960s. The novel and the movie are both set in the same location, and the setting is an important part of the story.
The author, S.E. Hinton, grew up in Oklahoma and based the novel on her own experiences growing up in the state. The novel depicts a world of working-class teenagers who are struggling to find their place in society, and the setting of Tulsa serves as a backdrop for their struggles.
The city is portrayed as a place of both beauty and danger. The characters move between the bright lights of the city center and the dark alleys and abandoned buildings on the outskirts.
The setting also helps to reinforce the themes of social class and inequality that are explored in the novel. The characters are divided by their different backgrounds and their experiences in the city.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.