All Quiet on the Western Front (German: Im Westen nichts Neues) is an epic German anti-war film based on the 1929 novel of the same name by Erich Maria Remarque.
Directed by Edward Berger, the latest is the third adaptation of the book and it is brilliant.
Starring Felix Kammerer, Albrecht Schuch, Daniel Brühl, Sebastian Hülk, Aaron Hilmer, Edin Hasanovic, and Devid Striesow, it has been nominated for nine Academy Award nominations.
So if you've never seen it and want to watch All Quiet on the Western Front, we have all the details on where you can stream it today.
Where to Stream All Quiet on the Western Front
There is only one place in the world where you can watch All Quiet on the Western Front.
And that is NETFLIX.
The film premiered at the 47th Toronto International Film Festival in September 2022. It then played exclusively at the Paris Theater in New York on October 7 before expanding to other theatres from October 14th.
Realistically, this was the only option as in order to qualify for the Academy Awards, the movie must have a theatrical release.
The rule is: A film must be publicly exhibited for paid admission for at least one week at a commercial theatre in Los Angeles county between January 1 and midnight of December 31 of that year.
So having completed the necessary cinema run time, All Quiet on The Western Front then launched on Netflix worldwide on October 28th 2022.
What Is All Quiet on The Western Front About?
Three years into World War I, in 1917, Paul Baumer is a young German patriot, eager to fight.
Convinced by the propaganda at school, he and his friends, Albert Kropp, Franz Müller, and Ludwig Behm, eagerly sign up for the army soon after graduation.
But when the brutal horrors of war soon become too much to bear, Paul questions what he's been told about the enemy as the rights and wrongs of the conflict are laid bare.
Despite this, Paul has no choice but to carry on fighting until the end, serving no purpose other than to satisfy the top brass.
Added to this, and not in the original book, is the story of the armistice negotiations to end the war.
When Was All Quiet on the Western Front Published
All Quiet on the Western Front is a novel by Erich Maria Remarque and was published in January 1929.
Remarque was a German veteran of World War I and his book describes the extreme physical and mental trauma, suffered by soldiers, during the war.
2.5 million copies were sold in 22 languages in its first 18 months in print. However, it was also one of the first to be banned and publicly burnt in Nazi Germany in 1933.
At the time of writing, the movie has been nominated and won several awards.
All Quiet on the Western Front received a leading 14 nominations at the British Academy Film Awards and nine at the 95th Academy Awards.
They include Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best International Feature.
The BAFTAs will be held on February 19th 2023 with the Academy Awards scheduled for March 12th 2023.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.