Ever found yourself pondering, Where can I watch Amistad? Well, you're in luck! This Steven Spielberg-directed historical drama is a must-see for any film enthusiast.
With its gripping narrative and powerful performances, it's no wonder you're itching to find out where you can stream it.
But is this the kind of movie that tickles your fancy? Are you a fan of historical dramas that pack an emotional punch? Let's find out!
Is Amistad Worth Watching?
Amistad is a riveting tale of courage, resilience, and the indomitable human spirit.
Set in 1839, it tells the story of a group of Africans who stage a mutiny aboard the slave ship, La Amistad.
The film is a compelling exploration of the legal battle that ensues when they reach American soil.
If you found yourself engrossed in movies like 12 Years a Slave or Schindler's List, then Amistad is right up your alley.
Where to Stream Amistad
Now, let's get down to the nitty-gritty: where can you stream Amistad?
UNITED STATES: You can catch this cinematic masterpiece on PARAMOUNT in the United States. Which is fantastic, as you can get a free trial with the platform.
But you can also stream it on: AMAZON PRIME, MGM+ and FUBO. Plus, you can rent it on popular VOD services like AppleTV and Google Play.
UNITED KINGDOM: For our friends across the pond, Amistad is available on PARAMOUNT.
AUSTRALIA: Down under? No worries! You can stream Amistad on STAN Australia. Or rent it one a host of video-on-demand services.
CANADA: Canadians can't stream this movie on any of the big platforms – sorry, Canucks. You do the option to rent or buy from Apple, Amazon or Microsoft
POLAND: In Poland, Amistad is only available to buy or rent.
ITALY: Italian movie buffs can find Amistad on PARAMOUNT.
HUNGARY: In Hungary, you can't stream Amistad on any of the major platforms.
FRANCE: For those in France, Amistad is available on CANAL+ or PARAMOUNT.
BRAZIL: In Brazil, you can catch Amistad on NETFLIX.
DENMARK: And finally, Danish fans can watch Amistad is available on NETFLIX.
The movie boasts a stellar cast that includes Djimon Hounsou, who delivers a powerful performance as the mutiny leader.
You might recognise him from other films like Blood Diamond and Guardians of the Galaxy.
Matthew McConaughey, known for his roles in Dallas Buyers Club and Interstellar, plays the lawyer who defends the Africans.
Anthony Hopkins, of Silence of the Lambs fame, also stars as former President John Quincy Adams, with Morgan Freeman taking on the role of Theodore Joadson.
Did You Know?
Did you know that Amistad was based on a true story? Or that Spielberg didn't take a salary for this film, instead donating it to a foundation?
And here's a fun fact: Matthew McConaughey was cast because Spielberg's daughter was a fan of his work in A Time to Kill.
Amistad was a moderate success at the box office, grossing over $74 million worldwide. Critics praised the film for its performances and Spielberg's direction, and it was nominated for four Academy Awards, including Best Supporting Actor for Anthony Hopkins.
How True is Amistad the Movie?
Amistad, like many historical dramas, takes some liberties with the actual events for the sake of storytelling. However, the film does adhere to the broad strokes of the historical record.
Here's a look at some of the key points:
The mutiny aboard La Amistad did occur, led by Sengbe Pieh (renamed Cinque in the movie).
The captives did kill some of the crew and demanded to be returned to Africa, but were tricked and ended up near the coast of the United States.
The legal battle over the fate of the Amistad captives is accurately depicted in the film.
The case went to the Supreme Court, where former President John Quincy Adams argued for the Africans.
Many of the characters in the film are based on real people. This includes the Africans, their lawyers, and President Martin Van Buren.
However, some characters, like Morgan Freeman's Theodore Joadson, are fictional.
The film accurately portrays the outcome of the case. The Supreme Court ruled that the Africans were illegally enslaved and had the right to fight for their freedom.
They were returned to Africa, although their homecoming was not as joyous as depicted in the film due to the ravages of the slave trade on their communities.
The Language Barrier
The film accurately portrays the language barrier that existed between the Africans and the Americans.
This was a significant issue during the trial and was eventually overcome with the help of a Mende interpreter.
While Amistad does take some creative liberties, it remains a powerful depiction of a significant event in American history.
It brings to light the horrors of the slave trade and the fight for justice and freedom.
More Movies Like This
If you enjoyed Amistad, here are eight more films that might pique your interest:
- 12 Years a Slave: This Oscar-winning film tells the harrowing true story of Solomon Northup, a free black man who was kidnapped and sold into slavery.
- Schindler's List: Another Spielberg masterpiece, this film chronicles the efforts of a German businessman to save his Jewish employees during the Holocaust.
- The Color Purple: This film adaptation of Alice Walker's novel explores the life of a black woman in the early 20th century South.
- Lincoln: Directed by Spielberg, this biographical drama focuses on President Lincoln's efforts to abolish slavery.
- Roots: This iconic miniseries traces the history of an African man sold into slavery and his descendants.
- Glory: This film tells the story of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, the Union Army's first African-American regiment in the Civil War.
- Django Unchained: Quentin Tarantino's take on the pre-Civil War South; this film follows a freed slave on a mission to rescue his wife from a brutal plantation owner.
- Selma: This film chronicles the 1965 voting rights marches led by Martin Luther King Jr.
So, there you have it! Whether you're a history buff, a Spielberg fan, or just love a good drama, Amistad is a film that will leave a lasting impression.
So, why not give it a watch? You might just find your new favorite movie. Happy streaming!
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.