We are very accustomed to high-octane spy thrillers, but All The Old Knives is much more of a quiet old-school espionage story that has divided viewers.
If you want action packed this movie is not for you. However, if you want a decent story with a few twists and turns along the way then maybe this is more your lane.
So what is All The Old Knives about? It's 2012, and the CIA has a base in Vienna. When they get a tip-off that an airline will be hijacked, the race is on to find out when and where.
However, despite their best efforts, they are too late to save the 120 people on board flight 127. We then fast forward eight years to 2020.
Henry Pelham (Chris Pine) meets with his old boss Vick Wallinger (Laurence Fishburne), who tells him that their main suspect, Ilyas Shushani, a Chechen and former informant for Henry, was involved.
Not only that, but before he died, Ilyas confirmed that he had inside help with plotting the terrorist attack. There is a mole in the department.
Having been cleared, Vick tasks Henry Pelham to interview his former colleague and lover, Celia Harrison (Thandiwe Newton), a possible suspect.
The now married and retired Celia meets Henry in a Carmel-by-the-sea restaurant after he reaches out to her and asks her to dinner. It's time to find out what Celia knows.
As she relays precisely what happened on that fateful day, the story of flight 127 is played out over multiple timelines as Henry gets to the bottom of who is the CIA mole.
All The Old Knives Official Trailer
Is All The Old Knives Worth Watching?
All the heavy lifting in this spy thriller is done by Chris Pine and Thandiwe Newton.
Other than the flashbacks to various timelines, most of the story is told by them sitting in a restaurant. And despite the premise being very good, All The Old Knives is as much about their relationship than anything else.
The former lovers angle adds another layer to the movie but also detracts from it until you figure out how it ties into the plot.
In the end, the entire story gets resolved as all the pieces you've watched over the previous hour and 40 minutes fall into place. So there is a beginning, middle and an end, all wrapped up nicely.
All The Old Knives is very much one of the dialogue driven spy thrillers. You don't get gun fights, bombs and car chases. Instead, you get a pretty engaging whodunit and, more importantly, why.
Where To Watch All The Old Knives
All The Old Knives is an Amazon Studios movie.
It was released in limited theatres across the United States, and you can stream it now on Amazon Prime Video.
All The Old Knives Cast
Credit where it is due; while some of the cast didn't get huge roles, everybody does a sterling job in the movie from director Janus Metz.
Chris Pine (The Outlaw King) as Henry Pelham, CIA agent tasked with finding a mole
Thandiwe Newton as Celia Harrison-Favreau, former colleague and love of Henry
Laurence Fishburne as Vick Wallinger, head of the CIA station in Vienna
Jonathan Pryce (Slow Horses) as Bill Compton, Celia's boss and mentor
Ahd Kamel as Leila Maroof
Abdul Alshareef as Suleiman Abdulwahed, responsible for the terrorist hijacking
Jonjo O'Neill as Ernst Pul
David Dawson as Owen Lassiter
Corey Johnson as Karl Stein
Nasser Memarzia as Mohammed Dudayev
Orli Shuka as Ilyas Shishani
David Bedella as Drew Favreau
Get ready for non-stop entertainment with access to thousands of popular movies and TV shows, including award-winning Amazon Originals. Plus, enjoy the convenience of FREE One-Day Delivery on millions of items. With the ability to watch anywhere and cancel anytime, you'll never have to worry about being tied down. So why wait? – Join Now
30-day free trial available.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.