Elysium whisks us into the year 2154, where the class divide has gone completely bonkers. With the Earth overpopulated and over-polluted, society has become a clear split of those that have and those that have not. The haves, are the rich and wealthy who now live on Elysium, the space station orbiting the planet. Elysium provides a heavenly existence, with unimaginable luxuries. On top of this, they live extremely long and healthy lives due to the use of med-bays that can cure any illness. Their lives are perfect while, the have nots live on a planet ravaged by disease and live in a dirty world of poverty. Think, The Platform but on a bigger scale.
Any unauthorized attempt to go to this paradise in the skies is immediately stopped. But that does not stop hundreds of people from paying vast sums of money to make the journey, in a desperate attempt to seek a better life. Nobody can seek asylum on Elysium. In fact, it seems that the people of Elysium care not if the people of earth live or die.
But, when Max De Costa finds that he must get to Elysium or die within five days, he makes a deal with a people trafficker to get him a guaranteed one-way ticket to save his life. However, Max gets more than he bargained for and could now hold the key that will change everything for everyone on Earth. Now fitted with a powerful exo-skeleton suit and carrying the answer to a new world, can he get to Elysium and open up the treasures that will save him and the rest of the planet?
The immaculate world of Elysium is outstanding. But, everything else has a dirty realistic hue that is used with incredible effect to display the stark contrast between the two societies. The music score is amazing too, composed by Ryan Amon.
However, there is a downside. For me, it feels like the Hollywood production team may have had too much input on Elysium. Because, whilst the main premise is a strong focus in the first act, it does get overshadowed in favor of all-out action in the final two acts. That leaves the social statement somewhat lost and everything feeling a little rushed. Let's just say that Blomkamp, certainly rectified this with his third film Chappie.
The cast includes Jodie Foster and Matt Damon who is fantastic here playing the adult Max De Costa. Jodie Foster is great too, playing the outrageously corrupt and power-crazy defense secretary of Elysium. William Fichtner is cast as the super-rich CEO of a large corporation on Earth.
For me, however, the real talent that truly shines in Elysium comes from Sharlto Copley, Diego Luna, and Wagner Moura. Both Diego Luna and Wagner Moura, are amazing and display all of their star quality here. And have since gone onto receive huge roles in the likes of Narcos and Star Wars: Rogue One. However, as far as I am concerned, Sharlto Copley completely steals the show. This guy is outstanding and gifts us with one of the darkest villains ever witnessed in the history of cinema. Every time I watch Elysium, as soon as I hear the words “activate Kruger” I know exactly what is coming. One of the best characters ever!
So as you can guess I love Elysium. Yes, it has some issues, but it is still a fantastic film. As far as thought-provoking Sci-Fi films go, Blomkamp is head of the class. Taking that into account, I can't recommend it enough.
Get ready for non-stop entertainment with access to thousands of popular movies and TV shows, including award-winning Amazon Originals. Plus, enjoy the convenience of FREE One-Day Delivery on millions of items. With the ability to watch anywhere and cancel anytime, you'll never have to worry about being tied down. So why wait? – Join Now
30-day free trial available.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.