Any franchise that runs for as long as the Fast & Furious series is going to develop along familiar touchpoints. Originality turns to familiarity which morphs into reinvention, which then twists into one-upmanism.
Fast & Furious 9 has even moved beyond the self-own & the onerous to now live in a fantastical world free of physics, logic, or needing to even care about those things.
Before Fast 5 I had no time at all for the scant & the scurrilous but ever since that movie shifted the format away from ‘girls and cars and repeat’ into a ‘heist’ structure, the speedy & shirtless series has grown into a sweet spot that has become critic proof.
Even this review is ultimately pointless because the only thing you can compare a Fast & Furious movie to is, well, other Fast & Furious movies. By that scale, F9 has gone even dafter. Yes, it was possible.
Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) has absolutely retired from stealing or saving things using quick & querulous methods. Except that their government sugar daddy Mr Nobody (Kurt Russell, barely getting any chance for delightful overacting here) has gone missing along with cyberterrorist Cipher (Charlize Theron (The Old Guard), reprising her antagonistic role from the previous movie). And the suspected perpetrator is someone very close to Dom.
Long term fans may be slightly put out, as indeed are Dom’s long term collaborators, to discover the depths of his other family considering this has literally never been brought up before now.
The past & the perilous comes courtesy of John Cena doing what John Cena does: a strong man with a charismatic twinkle in the eye. Diesel’s Dom has long been a plot anchor slab that picks and chooses the odd rare scene to actually emote, so Cena’s charm is an essential ingredient (much like Jason Statham before him) that keeps a few fresh smelling bubbles popping out of the generally re-stirred plot cauldron.
Whether the race to save the world from [INSERT THREAT HERE] connects with you or not, what we keep turning up for are the stunts & the stupendous, right?
Every entry comes up with several moments that seem impossible to top, but you’ll be pleased to know that F9 flicks even more rude hand gestures at the very concept of reality.
On at least three separate occasions I darn near jumped out of my seat and yelled, “You can’t be serious!” at the screen. It isn’t (that’s the point) but the computer game physics are strong with this one.
Is F9 Worth Watching?
Director Justin Lin continues to gleefully drop in action set pieces that are precisely the reason that I, a serious critic who can write words well good, will shunt to one side several critically lauded and artistic movies for something like F9.
To name but a few moments that the vehicular & the vehemence include: a collapsing rope bridge crossed creatively, mighty magnets deployed mischievously (think Inception meets Mad Max: Fury Road), and the kind of extreme shark jumping that is frankly inevitable at this point.
What else? Well, with the impending end of the constant & the continuous (the upcoming two-part Fast Ten should say farewell to this billion dollar franchise) there is a sense that some pieces are being moved around so that all available characters can make an appearance.
Not that many of these characters have much, well, character, but if such an institution as the delight & the delirious is to wrap things up then drawing on its now voluptuous resources will add a touch of gravity (that’s where things in the air actually come down, guys).
Yet here we are with a hunk of daft movies that absolutely fill an entertainment need. I enjoyed the WHAT?! & the wonderous, and I think you will too.
Words by Mike Record
Get ready for non-stop entertainment with access to thousands of popular movies and TV shows, including award-winning Amazon Originals. Plus, enjoy the convenience of FREE One-Day Delivery on millions of items. With the ability to watch anywhere and cancel anytime, you'll never have to worry about being tied down. So why wait? – Join Now
30-day free trial available.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.