Maniac is the much-hyped sci-fi/fantasy series on Netflix.
Starring Emma Stone and Jonah Hill in the lead roles, the series is created by Patrick Somerville and directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga, who also created Beasts Of No Nation with Idris Elba.
So what is Maniac all about? Set a little into the future when the world is more technologically advanced, the story begins mid-way through our two protagonists lives.
We don't know anything about them but both appear to be unhappy with some serious problems.
Annie Landsberg, played by Emma Stone, is a woman who dwells unhealthily on her imperfect relationships with her sister.
Owen Milgrim, played by Jonah Hill (Stutz), is the son of a wealthy family who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and recalls the worst night of his life as being his brother's engagement party.
Milgrim believes he is getting messages about ‘a plan' that he needs to follow through on and after seeing Landsberg's photograph on a billboard, he thinks she is the person who can help him.
By sheer coincidence the meet each other when interviewing to take part in a new mind bending pharmaceutical trial.
Milgrim needs the money and Landsberg is already addicted to the drug but can't afford any more so both are desperate to be accepted. And they are.
The drugs are called Pill A, B and C and they are touted as a revolutionary way to repair anything about the mind.
They can cure anything from mental illness or heartbreak with no complications or side-effects whatsoever.
But a glitch in the computer system only affects Annie and Owen means they continually find themselves together in different worlds induced by the drugs.
But can they survive the drug deal and go on to lead normal lives or will it destroy them?
Maniac Official Trailer
Is Maniac Worth Watching?
Maniac is definitely one of the better series released by Netflix for a number of reasons.
Firstly, you have to pay attention to it. You simply won't be able to follow it unless you're engaged.
Secondly, while it is set in a fictional world, it isn't a million miles from where society is headed. The reality of which is a little terrifying.
Thirdly, both Emma Stone and Jonah Hill and the supporting cast of Gabriel Byrne, Justin Theroux, Sonoya Mizuno, Sally Field and Julia Garner (Ozark) are absolutely brilliant.
The characters and storyline are clearly defined and the overall plot doesn't miss a beat.
It is a little confusing to start off and frustrating as you try to get to grips with what is real and what isn't.
So with an emotionally complex computer system, an experimental drug trial, two struggling strangers and an alternate universe, Maniac is anything but boring.
But for all of that, it really comes down to two very lonely people who discover it's easier to get through life with friends.
Will There Be A Season 2 Of Maniac?
Unfortunately, Maniac is a limited series, meaning the entire story has been told.
Limited series don't tend to have follow-up seasons and Maniac is no exception.
Written by Patrick Somerville, and with 10 episodes and one season, the story of Annie and Owen is over.
Emma Stone as Annie Landsberg, a woman with borderline personality disorder who dwells unhealthily on her relationships.
Jonah Hill as Owen Milgrim, the son of a wealthy family who, having decided to make his way without his family's assistance, struggles to hold a job and provide for himself.
Justin Theroux (Wanderlust) as Dr. James Mantleray, a scientist working on the NPB experiment.
Sonoya Mizuno as Dr. Azumi Fujita, a scientist who runs the NPB experiment.
Gabriel Byrne as Porter Milgrim, a wealthy industrialist and father of Owen.
Julia Garner as Annie's sister Ellie Landsberg, who died
Billy Magnussen as Jed Milgrim, one of Owen's brothers. Magnussen also portrays Grimsson, a man whom Owen hallucinates.
Sally Field as Dr. Greta Mantleray, a famous therapist and the mother of Dr. James K. Mantleray.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.