There have been many movies and tv shows set in a dystopian future, including Sweet Tooth, To The Lake and Divergent. Now we can also add the Emma Roberts movie Paradise Hills to that list.
Paradise Hills Explained
Paradise Hills is set in a dystopian future where the world has been separated by money. There are the Uppers, who are generally very, very wealthy, and the Lowers, who are still moderately well off. Then there is everybody else.
Uma is an Upper. However, her father died a disgraced businessman, and the family lost their fortune. Their only shot at getting back up society's ladder is for Uma to marry Son.
Son is the sociopath who plotted her father's downfall, but he's rich so that's all that matters. Except to Uma, who hates him and refuses to marry him.
And that's when she wakes up at Paradise Hills, a behavioural modification centre for young women who have displeased their families.
The idea is that over two months of treatment, Uma will come to see the error of her ways. She will embrace Son, and her future life as his wife, and all will be right with the world again.
Alongside Uma are Chloe (Danielle Macdonald, Dumplin') and Yu (Awkwafina, Crazy Rich Asians), both of whom also need to undergo treatment for their rebellious ways. It's all very Handmaid's Tale.
And leading the therapy, hoping to convert them all, is The Duchess (Milla Jovovich, Monster Hunter). With her dulcet tones and reasonable rationale, it is her job to transform these girls. And she hasn't failed yet.
Paradise Hills Official Trailer
Is Paradise Hills Worth Watching?
As you would expect from a decent sci-fi thriller, there is more going on than meets the eye at Paradise Hills.
Set in the middle of the ocean, this seemingly idyllic reform school alters young girls permanently.
So how do they do it? You'll have to watch to find out the sinister secret. No spoilers here but suffice it to say that getting out is a lot more difficult than getting in.
Overall Paradise Hills offers fans a decent and thoughtful sci-fi, even if it did completely bomb at the box office. The plot of bending young ladies at will to turn them into perfect Stepford wives is interesting.
So too is the fight they put up to stop it. A visually distinctive treat, the film is beautiful, with incredible costumes and a stunning setting.
That said, as thrillers go, it wasn't particularly exciting. Despite the timely themes, its message about society and its spectacular production, it was let down by the ending.
Is Paradise Hills Based On A Book?
Directed by Alice Waddington, she is also the creator of the story, however, it is not based on a book.
Waddington had the idea, and then Brian DeLeeuw and Nacho Vigalondo wrote the screenplay for Paradise Hills.
Where To Watch Paradise Hills
Depending on where you live, you can watch Paradise Hills on either Netflix or Amazon Prime.
If you don't subscribe to either of those streaming platforms, you also have the option of renting it on Apple TV+ in most territories.
Paradise Hills Movie Cast
Emma Roberts as Uma/Anna
Danielle Macdonald as Chloe
Awkwafina as Yu
Eiza González as Amarna
Milla Jovovich as The Duchess
Jeremy Irvine as Markus
Arnaud Valois as Son
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.