Star Wars first hit the screen way back in 1977. Famously the scripts were rejected by United Artists and Universal becoming one of the most epic mistakes made by any film studio. Even George Lucas himself admits that they had no idea how it would be received by the public. But the film was a huge success with theatres sold out around the globe. Fans of this epic shoot 'em up in space could not get enough of it. It went on to spawn one of the biggest movie franchises in history.
The Star Wars franchise has now been gifting the world with amazing films for over forty years. The films run from episode one through to nine. Undoubtedly, some of these films have been better than others.
Rogue One picks up somewhere between episode three and episode four. It was a brilliant move by Disney to get even more out of the franchise. To say that Star Wars fans are obsessive about the franchise is an understatement. And there have been lots of questions unanswered along the way. This is where the genius lies in Rogue One. Scriptwriters have blended a whole new epic that has a perfect balance from all of the other films but can also stand on its own. For the fans, we get to find out why the Death Star had such a weak point. And where it gets its power from – as well as finding out where the power source of lightsabers come from too.
There is a brand new cast who are fantastic in all of their roles. There is not one single weak element. Ben Mendelsohn from Bloodline is great as the power crazy imperial baddie who sees the death star as his creation. But Felicity Jones is fantastic as the lead character, giving a powerful performance with great screen presence. Gareth Edwards directs and does a truly stunning job. He created an amazing cinema experience that is packed full of nostalgia for the original trilogy. But big respect must be given to the screenwriters for managing to weave the old with the new so seamlessly.
All in all, as a Star Wars fan I walked into the cinema with an open mind. I prepared for the worst after such disappointment from episodes one to three, that for me were a cinematic disaster. However, the style of this film captured me immediately. As the movie gains momentum the audience is bombarded with a true showpiece with everything from AT-AT walkers to the Death Star thrown at you.
Disney has thrown everything at this and it works. It is amazing and as the final scenes concluded I have to admit that I had a tear in my eye as I was taken straight back to being a small boy and watching the opening scenes of the original film with my Dad. And now you can bring this cinematic experience into your own home.
Update: Unfortunately, Rogue One is no longer available on Netflix. You can buy it on Amazon but it is not included with the Prime subscription.
Disney Plus offers a large collection of movies and TV shows from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. You can watch classic Disney films, as well as new releases and original content created specifically for the platform.
Stream on up to four screens at once on compatible devices.
For a limited time, customers who purchase the annual subscription can save 16%.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.