If you’ve ever wished for a movie where the comedy is as unpredictable as the plot, Rough Night (released as Girls Night Out in some countries) might just tick the box for you.
Scarlett Johansson heads a lineup of undeniably talented actresses but despite the ensemble Rough Night is, to put it bluntly, a rough watch.
It is pitched as a black comedy that starts in 2006 with four besties in college. Swearing to be in each other's lives forever, it then quickly skips ten years ahead.
But before we delve into whether it's worth watching or not, let's find out what it is all about…
What Is Rough Night About?
As mentioned above, the film is set in 2016 and a lot has changed for the friends.
Jess Thayer (Scarlett Johansson) is running for Senate and engaged to Peter. Her best friend Alice has decided to throw her a bachelorette party in Miami, getting the old pals back together.
They are soon joined by Jess's Aussie friend, Pippa, played by Kate McKinnon. So the girls rock up to their Miami pad for a party but first are introduced to neighbours Lea and Pietro (Demi Moore and Ty Burrell) who are decidedly overly sexualised and creepy.
With the introductions out of the way, the girls head out for a night on the town. So far so good. Then one of them scores some coke and soon all five girls are dancing on tables and basically off their heads.
When they get back to the apartment they are joined by a guy they assume is a male stripper. But when he is accidentally killed (within minutes of arriving), the night soon turns very grim as the girls try to figure out what to do with the body.
Through a haze of crazy drug-induced antics, the women must figure out who to get themselves out of this very dicey situation. So can they?
Rough Night Official Trailer
Is Rough Night Worth Watching?
This is supposed to be a comedy about a wild bachelorette weekend, a sort of female Hangover if you like. But one that takes a ‘hilariously dark turn'. It isn't.
It starts off well enough even if all the characters are cookie-cutter cliches of a generic ‘group of friends'. Each has a lane and for the entire duration of the film, they stay in it.
With few funny moments, the jokes are shoe-horned into the script to bring a bit of lightness to the situation but they just fall flat. I mean seriously, almost none of them land!
And, despite being billed as a dark comedy Rough Night is neither funny enough nor dark enough to be either and just ends up being a scattered comedy with no direction.
Overall, the comedic talent of the cast is utterly wasted in this movie, especially Jillian Bell (Brittany Runs A Marathon). There are simply too many missed opportunities for the cast to really flex their comedy chops and the script lacks a level of cleverness that would have made it a really solid and entertaining movie.
It's the kind of film that if you skipped through half of it you would miss nothing.
Rough Night Movie Cast
Scarlett Johansson as Jess Thayer
Jillian Bell as Alice who thinks she's Jess's best friend
Kate McKinnon as Pippa/Kiwi, who is still trying to make it as a singer-songwriter
Ilana Glazer as Frankie
Zoë Kravitz as Blair
Paul W. Downs as Peter, Jess's fiancee
Demi Moore as Lea, who lives next door
Ty Burrell as Pietro, married to Lea
Ryan Cooper as Jay, the fake stripper
Colton Haynes as Scotty McBody, the real stripper
Dean Winters as Detective Frazier
Enrique Murciano as Detective Ruiz
Bo Burnham as Tobey
Eric André as Jake
Get ready for non-stop entertainment with access to thousands of popular movies and TV shows, including award-winning Amazon Originals. Plus, enjoy the convenience of FREE One-Day Delivery on millions of items. With the ability to watch anywhere and cancel anytime, you'll never have to worry about being tied down. So why wait? – Join Now
30-day free trial available.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.