We all know that Japanese tv is incredibly popular the world over. While it's easy to suggest that the likes of the Korean Squid Game had a helping hand in that trend, many of the shows that we watch today have already been huge successes, including Run for the Money.
With its latest instalment made exclusively for Netflix, Run for the Money has been a hit show in Japan since it first aired in 2004.
What Is Run for the Money About?
Run for the Money is a reality competition show with 29 celebrity contestants.
The idea is that they must run from and outmaneuver black-clad hunters who are hot in pursuit. The longer they stay on the run the more money they add to the cash prize pot.
And if they can escape and survive until the end, they win the money. The twist is that if they are caught or turn themselves in, the money they have earned up until that point returns to zero.
But it's not as simple as just not getting caught. There are twists and turns, possible moles hampering their escape and a LOT of hunters who want to catch them.
So which of the 29 celebrities will make it to the end? Tune in to find out.
Run for the Money Official Trailer
Release Date On Netflix
The bit new Japanese show was created for Netflix with a scheduled release date of November 15th 2022.
Is Run for the Money Worth Watching?
This version of the show has been scaled up massively for Netflix. Think of a huge empty town, hundreds of feared hunters, skydiving, a luxury yacht and you get an idea of what is in store.
The celebrity contestants are really entertaining, largely due to the mix of different personalities. They come from all different backgrounds and include young actors, popular comedians, professional athletes and pop stars.
All of them want to win the biggest cash prize but outrunning the very intimidating black clad hunters isn't their only problem.
Like the other hit Netflix show, The Mole, someone in their group is there to ruin their chances. So who is it?
Run for the Money is a chaotic and epic battle of survival, but it's also a lot of fun. It's amped up, exciting television and you can't help but want to keep watching to see who makes it until the end.
The biggest issue is that with so many participants and hunters, the show loses focus. You never really get to see any one person from the beginning until the end. Some come and go, and you didn't even realise they were playing.
Ironically, that's also what makes it a good show. It would be boring if they focused on just one or two players. And one thing it is not, is boring.
This popular show packs in as many thrills as possible and has set the standard for survival game shows in Japan.
Is Run for the Money A Real Japanese Game?
Run for the Money is a real-life tag game show inspired by onigokko, the traditional Japanese game of tag.
Tag is a playground game involving two or more players chasing other players in an attempt to “tag” and mark them out of play.
While each country has its own version, usually all you have to do is touch another player, and say “Tag, you're ‘it'!”. Then that player is either out of the game, or they become the chaser, and you must run from them.
Run For The Money Netflix Contestants
Game Master: Jiro Sato
- Asei (Miki)
- Hiroe Igeta
- ELLY (J Sould Brothers III from Exile Tribe)
- Yoshito Okubo
- Miku Kanemura (Hinatazaka46)
- Sukai Kinjo (JO1)
- Hikari Kuroki
- Kurochan (Yasuda Dai Circus)
- Kousei (Miki)
- Junichi Koumoto (Jicho Kacho)
- Yoshio Kojima
- Tsukasa Saito (Trendy Angel)
- Keigo Sato (JO1)
- Hayato Sano
- Jinjin (Paparapys)
- Toshiki Seto
- Tanakaga (Paparapys)
- Atsuhiro Tsuda (Daian)
- Marin Honda
- Mahiru (Ganbareruyaym)
- Takuya Mitsuma
- Minho (SHINee)
- Win Morisaki
- Nako Yabuki (HKT48)
- Yoshiko (Ganbareruyaym)
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.