I'm all for a good drama and usually, Netflix does a pretty good job producing watchable content. Not so with Sex/Life.
It is soooo bad that I literally skipped through episodes at double speed to save myself the torture of having to watch any more than was necessary to write this review.
So what exactly is Sex/Life all about? Billie Connelly (not kidding with that name!) is a 30-something married suburban mother of two. She is married to Cooper Connelly (Mike Vogel, Secret Obsession) who, even by her own description, is the absolute perfect man.
He is gorgeous, kind, caring, devoted husband and father blah blah blah… But yet, that's not enough for Billie. Oh no, Billie just can't stop obsessing over her bad boy ex from eight years earlier.
The ex in question is Brad Simon (Adam Demos, A Perfect Pairing) a record producer who apparently was so amazing in bed that Billie can't stop herself from constantly fantasising about him.
So imagine her surprise when he comes back into her life and she discovers he has been sleeping with her best friend?!? Oh the drama as Billie tries to convince herself that she doesn't care because she really loves her husband.
To get the whole Brad thing out of her system, Billie starts journaling her memories, recounting every single solitary minute of steamy sex she's ever had. And of course, Cooper finds it and reads it in what becomes a make or break moment.
Completely unaware of her wild child past, her fantasy charged trip down memory lane comes as quite the shock to Cooper. But rather than simply talk to each other the revelation sends the couple on a collision course.
Billie (Sarah Shahi) must decide if she wants ex boyfriend Brad or her husband as Cooper attempts to keep their marriage together. Laughably they even try a double date with Brad which doesn't go very well. Shocker!
So will they stay together or will they crash in burn in Sex/Life? Honestly, who cares!
Sex/Life Official Trailer
Is Sex/Life Worth Watching?
Hard no. The first season of Sex/Life is a show dedicated entirely to Sarah Shahi's breasts. They are on the screen so often that I wondered why she even bothered getting dressed for the other scenes.
Every single minute of this show is either Billie Connelly crying or thinking about sex. It is either the fantasy of her past or the boredom of her very married present. There is literally nothing in between.
Sure, if you're looking for a guide to the kama sutra – of which the lead character claims to have attempted 73% of the positions – then maybe you can find some value in this show.
Otherwise, romanticising a shitty relationship simply because you're a bored suburban housewife, is a pretty low bar for the plot of what is supposed to be a steamy drama.
How Many Seasons Of Sex/Life On Netflix?
Currently, there is one season of Sex/Life on Netflix.
The good news (or bad depending on whether or not you actually like the show) is that a second season is in the works.
It can't be any worse than the first season but where on earth they'll get more provocative ideas is anybody's guess.
Sarah Shahi as Billie Connelly, a former psychology PhD candidate who is yearning for the fast-paced life she had with her ex-boyfriend Brad.
Mike Vogel as Cooper Connelly, Billie's strait-laced husband
Adam Demos as Brad Simon, Billie's ex-boyfriend who is trying to win her back
Margaret Odette as Sasha Snow, Billie's best friend
Jonathan Sadowski as Devon, Cooper's colleague and friend.
Meghan Heffern as Caroline, another fake happy mom from the suburbs.
Amber Goldfarb as Trina, Devon's wife
Li Jun Li as Francesca, Cooper's boss who has feelings for Cooper.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.