Every now and then we need to take a break from the intense crime drama or action flicks and find comfort in a cute and sweet sitcom, which is where Single Parents finds itself.
A comedy-drama, Single Parents follows a group of single parents who are friends because all of their children are in first grade together.
The parents in question are Angie (Leighton Meester, The Weekend Away), mother to Graham, Poppy Banks (Kimrie Lewis) mother to Rory, Will Cooper (Taran Killam) father to child genius Sophie, Douglas (Brad Garrett) father to twin girls and Miggy Park (Jake Choi) father to baby Jake.
Quickly realising that single parenthood can be very difficult when also balancing work, the single parents lean on each other for babysitting, advice and fun and that's what makes the show so sweet.
Episodes focus on everyday things like navigating the dating world, their personal lives, trying to find a dream job, finding your own identity as a parent, sleepovers with the kids, and getting advice about their children.
All five parents have very different personalities as do each of the kids which makes for plenty of laughs as they all try to get on with each other.
Single Parents Official Trailer
Is Single Parents Worth Watching?
Single Parents is sweet and fun if a little unrealistic. Despite all of them having jobs, they seem to have a LOT of free time.
The children are definitely far more mature than the average 7-year-old which seems to have put some viewers off the show.
However, this is a sitcom and their characters bring a lot of humour, especially the twins who are brilliant so hats off to Ella and Mia Allan (also starred in Jane the Virgin).
Here's the thing though…we don't watch sitcoms for a reality check. We watch them to chill out and have a few laughs. So from that perspective Single Parents ticks a lot of the boxes.
Easy tv, clever one-liners, varied set of characters, relatable situations about raising kids and all done in good spirit.
Where To Watch Single Parents
Originally Single Parents was aired on ABC from September 2018, and had a full 23-episode first season.
ABC renewed the series for a second season, which premiered in September 2019.
Outside of the US, Single Parents is available to stream on Disney+.
How Many Seasons of Single Parents?
There are two seasons of Single Parents available to watch on Disney+.
The first season has 23 tv episodes and the second season has 20 episodes.
Why Was Single Parents Cancelled?
Unfortunately, despite being a lovely show, Single Parents was cancelled by ABC in 2020.
Like a lot of shows, it struggled in the ratings and in the season that it aired, was ranked No. 7 in the demographic and ninth in audience, from the 10 sitcoms that were on ABC.
Single Parents TV Series Cast
Taran Killam as Will Cooper, a 30-something divorced single father with a daughter, Sophie. Will has lost sight of who he is without Sophie.
Leighton Meester as Angie D'Amato, a single mother with a needy son, Graham.
Brad Garrett as Douglas Fogerty, an older widowed single father with identical twin daughters.
Kimrie Lewis as Poppy Banks, a single mother with a son, Rory.
Jake Choi as Miggy Park, a young single father with a baby son named Jack.
Marlow Barkley (Slumberland) as Sophie Cooper, Will's daughter.
Tyler Wladis as Graham D'Amato, Angie's son whose special trick is the ‘hot lunch mentalist' (you have to watch it to get it)
Devin Trey Campbell as Rory Banks, Poppy's son who has a knack for fashion.
Mia and Ella Allan as Emma and Amy Fogerty, Douglas' identical twin daughters.
Rhys Darby (Jumanji) as Doctor Biscuits, teacher at the school
Disney Plus offers a large collection of movies and TV shows from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. You can watch classic Disney films, as well as new releases and original content created specifically for the platform.
Stream on up to four screens at once on compatible devices.
For a limited time, customers who purchase the annual subscription can save 16%.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.