Star Trek is an iconic science fiction franchise that has been around for over fifty years. The original series first aired in 1966 and has spawned multiple television series and movies.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is the latest instalment in this long-running franchise. This show brings back many of the most beloved characters from the original 1960s series – but is it any good?
Is Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Worth Watching?
In recent years, Star Trek reboots such as Picard and Discovery have been some of the least popular series in the franchise. Leaving fans yearning for the joys of The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.
Strange New Worlds is the 11th series based on Gene Roddenberry's classic sci-fi adventures, but how does it fair against the other Star Trek shows?
I'm happy to report that the original Star Trek spirit has been splendidly brought back to life in Strange New Worlds.
It might be the presence of characters like Spock, Uhura, Number One, and even Kirk. It could be the spectacular visual effects or the engaging storylines. Whatever it is, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is the perfect balance of respecting the original series and introducing fresh, dynamic stories.
What's It About?
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is set around ten years before the events of the 1960s series. The new show follows the crew of the USS Enterprise under Captain Christopher Pike.
Fans will be happy to see familiar characters Spock (played by Ethan Peck), Number One (Rebecca Romijn) and Nyota Uhura (Celia Rose Gooding). The show introduces new characters, such as The Enterprise‘s helmsman Erica Ortegas (Melissa Navia) and Bruce Horak as Hemmer, Enterprise‘s chief engineer.
Each episode is a stand-alone adventure, but the series also tells a larger story arc throughout its first season. As with any good science fiction show, there are plenty of moral lessons to be learned and new worlds to explore.
Captain Christopher Pike is played by the American-born actor Anson Mount (The Virtuoso). Mount is no stranger to science fiction, having previously starred in the role of Captain Pike in the 2019 Star Trek Discovery series.
Ethan Peck takes on the iconic role of Spock, and despite being unsure of his performance in the first episode, as the series progressed, Peck's Spock became a star of the show.
Rebecca Romijn plays Number One, the ship's first officer. Romijn is known for her role as Mystique in X-Men, and she proves to be an excellent choice for this role.
When Is Season 2 Due?
The success of season one has led to Paramount Plus renewing Star Trek: Strange New Worlds for a second season.
A second season was confirmed in January 2022, and filming recently took place at CBS Stages Canada.
Get ready for the upcoming 10-episode season, which is anticipated to make its debut on Paramount+ in 2023! No exact date has been announced yet, but we will keep you updated with the latest news.
Overall, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is a wonderful return to the classic series fans have grown to love. It offers an exciting mix of action, adventure, and moral lessons that appeal to both new and old viewers.
The star-studded cast does a wonderful job of bringing the characters to life, making this series a pleasure to watch.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is definitely worth watching if you're looking for an entertaining science fiction series!
Other Sci-Fi Series to Watch?
You can check out more Sci-Fi gems on our dedicated page for fans of the genre!
Paramount Plus is the streaming platform that has it all! Get ready to be hooked by gripping dramas, edge of your seat action movies, and Laugh out loud with hit comedies. No matter your taste, Paramount Plus got something for everyone, all conveniently in one place.
Join now & get 7 days FREE.
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.