Netflix have really upped the ante this year, promising one brand new movie every week. Adding to their already sizeable catalogue is The Good Nurse.
Based on the 2013 book of the same name by Charles Graeber, The Good Nurse stars Jessica Chastain and Eddie Redmayne and is directed by Tobias Lindholm.
What Is The Good Nurse About?
A true story, The Good Nurse follows Amy Loughren (Jessica Chastain), a compassionate nurse and single mother struggling with a heart condition.
Stretched to her physical and emotional limits by the demanding night shifts at the ICU, Amy thinks her problems have been solved when help arrives in the form of Charlie Cullen (Eddie Redmayne, The Trial of the Chicago 7).
Charlie is a thoughtful and empathetic fellow nurse who starts at her unit and the two develop a strong and devoted friendship.
For the first time in years, Amy truly has faith in her and her young daughters' future.
But after a series of mysterious patient deaths, caused by insulin overdoses, sets off an investigation, everything points to Charlie as the prime suspect.
Amy is forced to risk her life and the safety of her children to uncover the truth.
The Good Nurse Official Trailer
Is The Good Nurse Worth Watching?
It seems that more and more, every film hitting our screens has been adapted from a book. That in and of itself is not a bad thing.
However, it doesn't leave much mystery when you can simply read it. More so with true crime stories that have already been very well documented.
Such is the case of Charles Cullen, a notorious serial killer who used his job to murder hospital patients over a period of 15 years.
So if you know anything about him, then The Good Nurse won't really offer anything new to the story.
That said, if you've never heard of Cullen then the movie is as solid as they come.
It builds the tension brilliantly and Jessica Chastain is her usual brilliant self. Redmayne is also excellent as he moves through the motions of being a friend and confidant to a man who knows the walls start closing in on him.
Overall The Good Nurse is a tragic true story of medicine madness and murder. More staggering is the fact that Cullen managed to evade detection for so long.
The Good Nurse Release Date
This film has been in the works for years and was first announced back in 2016. With a few casting rumours floating around in 2018, nothing was actually confirmed until 2020.
At that point, Netflix bought the rights for international distribution.
It was then announced that The Good Nurse would be released in select theatres in the US on October 19, 2022, and released a week later on October 26th 2022, on Netflix.
The Good Nurse Netflix Movie Cast
Jessica Chastain as Amy Loughren, a nurse who discovers her colleague may be killing his patients.
Eddie Redmayne as Charles Cullen, a serial killer who murdered dozens of patients in the hospitals he worked in.
Nnamdi Asomugha as Danny Baldwin, homicide detective
Noah Emmerich as Tim Braun, homicide detective
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.