We all know that streaming platforms compete for the big Hollywood names for their various projects, often paying millions for an A-Lister. A case in point is The Mother, starring Jennifer Lopez.
Rumoured to have been paid around $20 million for her role, Jennifer Lopez gets into action-hero mode for the Niki Caro directed Netflix film.
But what is The Mother all about, and is it even worth watching?
What Is The Mother About?
An unnamed U.S. military operative known as “the Mother” becomes involved in an arms smuggling operation with ex-SAS marine Adrian Lovell (Joseph Fiennes) and arms dealer Hector Álvarez (Gael García Bernal).
When she discovers their involvement in child trafficking, she turns informant for the FBI.
The Mother, who is pregnant, gives birth prematurely during a violent confrontation at an FBI safe house, after which she terminates her parental rights and gives up her newborn daughter for her safety.
She retreats to a remote cabin in Alaska and spends the next twelve years in isolation until a former ally brings news that her daughter may be in danger.
Upon learning that Álvarez's men know of her daughter Zoe (Lucy Paez), the Mother teams up with FBI agent Cruise (Omari Hardwick) to protect her.
When Zoe is kidnapped, the Mother and Cruise head to Cuba, to rescue her from Álvarez. After, she reveals her true identity to Zoe, who realizes she is her own mother.
But with Lovell still on their trail, can the Mother protect her daughter and survive long enough to return her to her adoptive family?
The Mother Official Trailer
Is The Mother Worth Watching?
Here's the thing about The Mother. The script is soooooo bad that I struggled to get passed the first 50 minutes. And believe me when I tell you that it takes a lot for me to want to turn off a film.
It's paint-by-numbers writing that does nothing except induce serious eye-rolling action. Even the character backstories are appalling.
As an example…The Mother was one of the top snipers for the US Army. Yet, this seemingly bad-ass, accomplished and well-trained woman opted to pair up with the ‘bad guys' to trade illegal arms because her only other option would be as a cashier in a supermarket. Seriously???
The villains are stereotypical, oozing cliches with every word that they say, devoid of any character subtlety or nuance. It's just trope after trope after trope.
BUT, and this is the only light shining at the end of the dark tunnel that is The Mother, Jennifer Lopez is very good in it. Nobody can accuse her of not giving everything to the film, and her portrayal of a woman desperate to protect her child is pretty relatable.
Her action skills are top-notch, and she is really watchable. But there is only so much she can do to make up for a script that needs a complete rewrite.
The Mother is a revenge movie that attempts to turn the genre on its head by having a female in the driving seat, but ultimately, the action is anti-climactic, and we've seen it all before.
Cast Of The Mother Movie
Directed by Niki Caro whose previous credits include Mulan and Whale Rider, The Mother does have a stellar cast who do their best with the material they've been given.
Props to them for trying to elevate the movie, they did the best they could.
Jennifer Lopez (Shotgun Wedding) as The Mother an unnamed army veteran who comes out of hiding to protect the girl she gave up 12 years earlier.
Lucy Paez as Zoe, The Mother's daughter who is kidnapped
Omari Hardwick (Power) as William Cruise, an FBI agent who helps The Mother
Joseph Fiennes as Adrian Lovell, an illegal arms trader
Gael García Bernal as Hector Alvarez, another illegal arms dealer
Paul Raci as Jons, an old military buddy who helps the mother
Jesse Garcia as Tarantula
Yvonne Senat Jones as Sonya
Edie Falco as SAIC Eleanor Williams
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.