If you're looking for a romantic comedy, you could do worse than catching You Do You, a Turkish film that is quite fun, despite being packed with every romcom trope and cliche.
Written by Ceylan Naz Baycan and directed by Cemal Alpan, You Do You stars Ahsen Eroglu and Ozan Dolunay and is available on Netflix.
With its quirky characters, the story follows Merve, a young woman who must grow up when her family are faced with eviction from their apartment.
There's a bit more to it than that, so let's take a look at what You Do You is all about. And more importantly, decide if it's worth watching!
What Is You Do You About?
Merve Kült is a young woman who dreams of being a fashion designer. She lives with her mother in the apartment building her father owns, and despite refusing to grow up and get a ‘proper job', life is pretty sweet.
Then her father sells the building, and the new owner decides to evict the tenants for non-payment of back rent. With only 30 days to eviction, Merve has to figure out how to come up with the money.
Luckily for her, she and her friends have created a new dating app which has attracted the interest of wealthy businessman Anil Gürman. Anil invests and also hires Merve for a job in his clothing company.
With the app on the rise and her new job giving her a creative outlet for her bohemian life which she documents for her Instagram followers, things are looking up for Merve.
However, what she doesn't know is that Anil has bought the apartment block and has only hired her to make her life difficult. The reason? To avenge his late father, who he believes was betrayed by the Kültür family.
The problem is that while he may be trying to ruin Merve's life, he's also falling in love with her…
You Do You Official Trailer
Is You Do You Worth Watching?
As romantic comedies go, You Do You isn't the worst, but it's also nowhere near the best. If ever there was a storyline that could have been generated by AI, then this is it.
Stuffed with every trope imaginable, You Do You has it all. There's the quirky main character, who seemingly is so trendy that she can join Instagram and somehow generate over 600,000 followers in a month (think Emily in Paris).
There's the eclectic group of friends and family who are all vested in saving the building. Then there's the meet cute over a spilt cup of coffee. And all of that is before Merve somehow gets her dream new job and stumbles into a spicy setup with her boss. And that's the same guy who's trying to ruin her life.
Of course, he's gorgeous and ultimately not a bad guy and when his dastardly plan is uncovered, he must proclaim his love for Merve so they can live happily ever after. By the way, that's not a spoiler, as you can see that ending coming from five minutes into the film!
The only slightly quirky feature that makes You Do You stand out is the main character breaking the fourth wall which is a fun twist but other than that, this is a rom com that passes the time but doesn't leave much of a lingering impression.
Sadly, we've seen it all before…
You Do You Movie Cast
Ahsen Eroglu as Merve Kült
Ozan Dolunay as Anil Gürman
Zuhal Olcay as Nevra Kültür
Ferit Aktug as Sehmuz
Esra Akkaya as Gülgün
Arif Piskin as Terzi Hamdi
Ege Aydan as Aytaç Kültür
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.