If you're after a romantic comedy with a difference then maybe You People should go on your list.
Directed by Kenya Barris, which he co-wrote with Jonah Hill, You People boasts an all-star cast that includes Jonah Hill, Lauren London, David Duchovny, Nia Long, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Eddie Murphy.
Released by Netflix in January 2023, the film went straight into the number-one spot worldwide, but what is it all about, and is it worth watching?
What Is You people About?
Ezra Cohen (Jonah Hill) is a single 35-year-old man who holds down a job he hates while also hosting a podcast with his best friend Mo (Sam Jay).
But Ezra wants to be in a relationship, he just can't seem to find the right person. However, a mix-up over an Uber leads him to meet Amira (Lauren London) and the two hit it off and start dating.
Now happy and in love, Ezra really thinks Amira is ‘the one' and decides to propose. There are two small problems, though. His family and her family.
As Ezra is white and Jewish and Amira is black and Muslim, both families have their respective issues with the relationship.
Ezra's mother, Shelley (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) is overly tone-deaf when it comes to black culture and is constantly either saying the wrong thing or trying too hard, which makes every interaction she has with Amira feel forced.
Amira's father, Akbar (Eddie Murphy), is at a loss as to how his daughter could possibly want to spend the rest of her life with a white Jewish guy. So he goes out of his way to make Ezra uncomfortable at every opportunity.
So the big question is can Ezra and Amira make it work? Or will their families accidentally-on-purpose put so many obstacles in their way that they have to break up?
You People Official Trailer
Is You People Worth Watching?
So here's the thing. I love Jonah Hill. I love Eddie Murphy. And I love Kenya Barris. So I actually found You People to be funny as well as insightful in parts.
With a cast as smart and sharp as this, you have to be devoid of humor not to find one or two laugh-out-loud moments. That said, there are more than a few jokes that miss the mark completely and end up being a bit more cringe than intended.
On the upside, and away from the usual romcom tropes, You People does have a deeper thread that runs through the movie, which looks at culture clashes, societal expectations and generational differences.
I liked the love story, some of the social commentary and the fact that neither family came off looking particularly well. But my favourite moments all involve Sam Jay as Ezra's best friend Mo who is hilariously funny, especially during the podcast discussions.
But on a negative note, this is a movie so focused on colour that we never, ever get anything more from the supporting characters.
Nia Long and David Duchovny were completely wasted, and despite it being nearly two hours long, I couldn't tell you one non-race-related thing about most of them. It's 2023, I think we can do better than that.
You People Movie Cast
Jonah Hill as Ezra, who faces the ultimate relationship test when he meets his girlfriend's parents.
Lauren London as Amira, Ezra's girlfriend
Eddie Murphy as Akbar, Amira's father
Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Shelley, Ezra's mother
Sam Jay as Mo, Exra's best friend and business partner
Nia Long as Fatima, Amira's mother
Travis Bennett as Omar, Amira's brother
David Duchovny as Arnold, Ezra's father
Molly Gordon as Liza
Deon Cole (Black ish) as Demetrius
Andrea Savage as Becca, the wedding planner
Elliott Gould as Mr. Greenbaum
Rhea Perlman as Bubby
Mike Epps as Uncle EJ
La La Anthony as Shaela
Yung Miami as Tiffany
- Apple TV brings you the future of television, right at your fingertips. Immerse yourself in the world of laughter, inspiration, and heartwarming moments with the critically acclaimed show, Ted Lasso, and a plethora of other captivating content.
- Star studded, award winning series and films.
Amazon Prime Video
- Welcome to a world of boundless entertainment, where thrilling stories come to life at your convenience. Amazon Prime Video invites you to explore a universe of gripping narratives, including the adrenaline-pumping series, "Reacher," and an extensive selection of captivating content that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Additional benefits of Prime Membership: Music Streaming Service, Amazon Photos and Exclusive Offers
- Delve into a world of original storytelling, where Disney's creativity knows no bounds. With Disney+ Originals like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "Loki," you'll witness new narratives and characters that expand the enchanting tapestry of the Disney universe.
- Great collection of Kids series and movies.